Saturday, May 23, 2009

Gray day!

Another rainy day. I'm so spoiled by all our sunshine that I take note when we have three rainy days in a row. Then I remind myself of life in Shepherdstown, WV, in the area where Bob Pidgeon used to say February is the 280 days between January and March. And I remind myself of growing up in northern Wisconsin, with the gray, gray winters. 

And I look out at the flowers and the green grass and realize gray equals green and lilac and sunflower and daisy and all those wunnerful things.

Today we're going to be out and about a bit. When adequately caffeinated, we go out to interview a lady who's going to be this year's Mancos Pioneer Queen. I was asked to do the bio for the paper and the Queen's Tea and, though I hate to write, I couldn't resist on this one, as long as Sandy will help with the ladies' perspective. It's going to be fun, I know.

Then we'll go into the park to the Indian art show at Far View ... as good an excuse to go into the park as any and an opportunity to support the museum association and the park. Don't know how the rainy weather will affect the show, but at least it doesn't appear to be windy out.

Then swing by Cortez to replenish the larder and back home ... maybe it will have cleared off by then.

Trying to wrap up all the loose ends before we roll out Wednesday morning, heading northwest to attend my grandson David Hoppe's wedding in Spokane on May 30. Get to meet Diana, his bride, and catch up with family for a little while. Plus, there's some beautiful country between here and there.

My burden of worries was lightened yesterday (and, in truth, it's usually pretty bearable!) when I found that we could get the cranky water heater in "Condo" (our Casita travel trailer) fixed and tuned up pretty quickly (they say) with a short side-trip into Grand Junction on our way north on Wednesday. It's hard to light and won't stay lit for long. The book says it needs to be set for use above 4500' and it previously lived near Fort Worth, a lot lower than our 7200'. Plus, it probably needs a new part. So, while we were ready to heat water on the stove, it's a huge relief to me to think we can get that working right. Don't know how long it will take, so we'll play it as it lays after that, an adventure for the guy who likes to have reservations! The route of march is all pretty familiar territory (even probably going through Deer Lodge, MT, where I lived for a couple of years), so not much worry.

I ramble. Time to get focused and move the day along. Life is wonderful! tv

No comments: