Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Family

I'm back in Wisconsin to attend Jane Vaughn's funeral; she was like an aunt to me. Got to thinking about how families relate to each other, without the interference of pure logic.

For example, I worked with and then for (as a farmhand) my Uncle Dick, the last Vaughan/Vaughn to operate the small farm my great-grandfather Christ Vaughan homesteaded in the Township of Rock Falls, Lincoln County, Wisconsin.  "Uncle Dick" was my great-uncle, and his real name was Arnold Joseph Vaughn, not Dick or Richard!

"Jane's" name was Everald, and she was my dad's mother's sister's son's widow! [Her middle name was Jane]. But in the reality of the times when they were growing up, my dad and his cousin Stanley were like brothers. In fact, I got used to my dad calling me "Stanley;" it was when he couldn't remember either my name or Stanley's name and called me "Roy" (dad's half-brother) or "Leslie" (Stanley's half-brother) that I'd get a little irked. ;-}

It also came as a shock to realize from Jane's death notice that she was only about 15 years older than me! After all, when I was a kid she was an adult, the mother of the cousins I played with, and that put her on the same level as my folks! 

Considering how complicated that side of the family's history is, the naming anomalies are probably all the insights I'm capable of right now. It will be VERY hard for this old brain to sort out the second cousins and their kids and grandkids at the funeral and reception tomorrow! I think the last time I saw one of my cousins, Wilmer, may have been more than 40 years ago! tv

3 comments:

Ralph VAUGHAN said...

Greetings! My name is Ralph VAUGHAN and I'm wondering if there is a genealogy connection between our families. I have a number of Wisconsin relatives named VAUGHAN. Our website is www.ralphvaughan.com to check us out. Thank you. Ralph

TOM VAUGHAN & SANDY FEUTZ said...

Could be, but most US Vaughan/Vaughns have been here longer than my family. My great-grandfather Christ Vaughan came from England through Chicago in 1886 to Spencer, WI. That match any of your kin? My dad, George Vaughan, my son Drayton Vaughan and I are the only ones of Christ descendants who still retain the last 'a.' Vaughans are stubborn!

TOM VAUGHAN & SANDY FEUTZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.