Thursday, November 5, 2009

Moping along

We're still here, Nurse Sandy and her grumpy patient.

Something porcine flu by Monday night, leaving me with a fever of about 100 degrees and other symptoms I won't go into in detail. It only lasted about 36 hours, but the temp went up to 100.9 ... and then down to 97.6, a basement temp I don't think I've ever had before.

I've been only mildly subnormal since then (I know, that's an opening for all the smart-butts out there!) but kinda wiped out. One of the other symptoms persists, resulting in a loss of about eight pounds of weight and loss of sleep. I don't need a lot of sleep at one time, but getting up to go to the bathroom every hour and a half doesn't equal a restful night. Plus lack of appetite.

However, Sandy has kept me resting, taking my temperature and drinking fluids, as well as making it so that I really didn't HAVE to do anything, and that has undoubtedly contributed to my bouncing back quickly. Still, taking it slow.

Gave me time to read a couple of more Iris Johansen books and an issue of Asimov's science fiction magazine and watch too much news and do too much Facebook. Now I'm back to Schultz's book on the Sand Creek massacre, which I'm about half-way through.

Also got a start on organizing my stuff for the trip to D.C. next week for the annual meeting of the Friends Committee on National Legislation's general committee. This will be a new experience for me; I expect to learn a lot. It's mainly several 10-hour days inside the Washington Plaza Hotel, so my memories of Washington's somber gray buildings in November won't impact me too much.

Being a representative to FCNL from the New Mexico Region of Intermountain Yearly Meeting will nudge me in different directions than I'm accustomed to. I'm starting out feeling like a zonkey ... I'm a New Mexico Region rep but I live in Colorado, therefore I will visit Colorado delegation members next Thursday, not the New Mexico delegation. And I need to bone up on the two major foci for FCNL at this point: Climate change and the comprehensive nuclear test ban treaty. I haven't paid much attention to the latter and the former is so big that it's hard to get a hold on it. In the end, I'm inclined to agree with those who say, regardless of the techno-fixes we try, the bottom line is the sheer number of people trying to live on this earth.

It's scarey to realize the holidays are just around the corner. I've got most of my gifts lined out, but there'll be a flurry of activity from now on. We're going to western Nevada for Thanksgiving, so that'll be a fun trip (barring deep snow).

The Ten-inch View (that of the dachshund on the morning walk) is more compatible with the return to warmer temps and dry ground. The view across fresh snow tended to be off-putting, leading to a concentration of output close to the house. This morning, at 39 degrees, nothing needed to be taken care of before we were past the mailbox, with diligent attention to all pee-mail messages all the way back.

Almost 10 p.m. on God's time, which is way past my bedtime on Phony Time, so g'night! tv


No comments: