Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mesa Verde, again




Though I've been into Mesa Verde on hundreds of days, going back to 1966, it's always a good day when I can go back to the park, and I always seem to see something new, especially now that I have cameras with me all the time.

Yesterday, after giving an orientation talk to a group of Elderhostelers up at Far View Lodge, I met briefly with the acting director of the Mesa Verde Museum Association. (Late news: We've hired an executive director, completing weeks of work by three of us!)

On the way out, I stopped at one of the cuts, mainly to see if I could get a good shot of one/some of the many motorcycles in the park. Even in late August, the wildflowers are abundant ... evidenced by these clumps of paintbrush and rabbit brush.

I clambered up the bank of the cut to where I could look down on the road ... and was rewarded with this panoramic view of the road, the drop-off (which scares the H out of some visitors!) and the vista across the Montezuma Valley and beyond. 

The effort to get a dramatic shot of bright, shiny motorcycles weaving through an S-curve on the side of a cliff failed, of course. Six riders passed me as I started up the bank, NONE came by while I waited up there and two couples came by just as I was getting back to the car. So much for setting up a shot! Anyway, I like the bikers below the geologic baklava of the cut, showing so many thousands of years of changes in the creation of what is now the mesa. 

The best part of the day was dining out at the Millwood last night with Sandy, celebrating our fifth month anniversary! tv

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! We are so looking forward to visiting you and get to know just a little bit about you and your life. Your pictures sais alot, your text also, but in just 3-4 weeks, we'll be albe to see for our selves. Love from Jytte and John