Friday, January 4, 2008

Pre-dawn ruminations by the old ruminant

Interesting results in Iowa. The best (most hopeful?) early analysis I've read is David Brooks' New York Times op-ed, "The Two Earthquakes." (www.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/opinion/04brooks.html?ref_opinion)

What gives me hope is his estimation that both Iowa winners offer a prospect of an administration that cares about Americans. Obama: "... a story of youth, possibility and unity through diversity - the primordial themes of the American experience." Huckabee: "... Huckabee's victory is not a step into the past. It opens up the way for a new coalition."

In Huckabee's case, Brooks says the candidate is "the first ironic evangelical on the national stage ("not at war with modern culture"), one who believes the conservative movement is not well-led and who "understands how middle-class anxiety is really lived."

Unfortunately, Brooks also doubts that Huckabee's position will be successful, expecting that he will be eclipsed by McCain.

Personally, it's nice to see voter affirmation of principles in politics and American public life. I'm tired of the go-along-to-get-along and end-justifies-the-means mode that characterizes the present administration and, I'm afraid, too many of the candidates in both parties.

One of the things I realized when I finished watching "Bobby" was that it had been a long time since I had seen or heard a candidate on the national stage who could describe a star that I'd want to hitch my wagon to. Instead, I've heard appeals for strength (Pax Americana), a strong economy (with increasing separation twixt the top and bottom layers) and urges to be afraid of "them" (a la "1984"). Dare we hope that this campaign will give us a choice between two positive visions of America's future? Other views welcomed. tv

No comments: