Saturday, December 15, 2007

Stormin' along

Only made about 450 miles today, decided to call it quits after about 10 hours of snowstorm. This was almost-sunshine on I-35 south of Albert Lea, MN. 

The picture we didn't have time to get was a little later, near milepost 99, when a northbound van flew into the center median, rolled onto the driver's side and kept on coming like a speeding snowplow, finally coming to rest in the left southbound lane ... just as we were going by in the right lane. All of us missed the van, but several of us drivers in the right line did some fast praying and some fancy braking and steering ... and if I'd been passing and been in the left lane, I'd probably no longer be part of this blog! We felt the after-effects for quite a few miles down the road. Sandy immediately called 911 and we saw emergency vehicles headed north very shortly thereafter.

This was really the worst day of weather we've had on the trip; we've been very fortunate! Most days have been grey, and for 10 days the temperature hasn't been higher than in the 20s, but today was the worst road conditions. Even so, we saw lots more vehicles off the road when we were coming across Nebraska and Iowa on I-80 9-10 days ago.

By the way, Sandy just noticed that comment was restricted to those with Google accounts; we changed that to open commentation. Pile on! TV

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your photos...can feel the chill of winter yet your words warm my heart as you two travel these road together.
I often go on road trips so I am making a list of places to visit..in the summer.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are both okay. Sounds like it was a bit scary. It's really nice how you guys are sharing your journey. I love your pictures. I hope you have a great Christmas. Love, Charlene