Friday, December 14, 2007

New library in Merrill

Whoa! What's this! That was my reaction when, while driving east on Main St., I pointed out the T.B. Scott Free Library that I spent so much time in as a boy. The historic Carnegie library is still there, which was added onto a few decades ago, but rising behind it along the river is a bright, spacious three-story structure that is a joy to be in. We understand it was built about six years ago, allegedly without a dime of taxpayer money. The old building is still there, warm and inviting and historically accurate ... I felt like I was walking in the front door again and looked over to see if Edna Kraft, the librarian, was still standing there to greet me. It was a bright spot in an altogether gray day!

Sandy found this neat reading nook at the side of the stacks on the second floor ... quiet, inviting, with homey plants and a view outdoors. The sign overhead is an example of how the library has recognized major donors and designated use areas. This library will be a MUST to spend some time in when we come back for Tom's 50th high school class reunion in 2008. TV

No comments: