Saturday, December 22, 2007

Nasty weather!

Nice morning in Austin, with HEAVY dew (I'm not used to dew in Mancos). Temp in the 50s and 60 till we got up around the I-35W turn to go through Fort Worth. Could see a weather bank in the distance to the north and noticed the temp had gone down to 48 degrees and there was a strong cross-wind. Around Denton we hit the first snow and then it was dicey the rest of the way. At one point, there was a tanker rolled in the southbound lane and that side of the Interstate was backed up at least 10 miles. We missed any serious backups till we got just south of Norman. Taking OK-9 east worked for a while, till an accident and emergency crews blocked that road. Detours along other roads still got us into Chandler by 6, before it was really dark, but it was 25 degrees and blowing snow. We're both glad we knocked off several hours of the trip from CC yesterday. Nice to be hunkered down in a warm house and not have to get on the road again tomorrow.

I'm reading "The Shape Shifter," by Tony Hillerman, one I don't think I've read before (I occasionally find a title that looks interesting, get half-way through and realized I've read it before). Joe Leaphorn talks about waking up with a clogged head from motel room air conditioning. I know exactly what he's talking about!

I just finished "Escape," by Carolyn Jessop, telling how she took her eight children and fled the FLDS, and about her life in the polygamous community. Now I think I understand what Laurie Allen meant when she told me "It's all about sex" when she visited with me in Mancos after her video "Banking on Heaven" showed in Durango a couple of years ago.

I haven't traveled the route before, but it has seemed to me on the trip from central OK to the Gulf coast that there are both a lot of billboards and a lot of "empty" billboards ... containing only a variety of "this space for rent" messages. Overbuilt? Downturn in some aspect of the economy? Seasonal thing? TV

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Wrote a long note here about my past few weeks only to find I didn't have an account yet, so lost it in the meantime and can't get it back.

Too tired to do it over.

I have been in a frenzy of activity all month!

Hope you are having a wonderful time. Love your blog and all the wonderful pictures and posts.

will look in more often now.

Hope to see you again before the move to Indiana. (I may not be going as soon as originally thought).

Happy Holidays,
lorena/cami

Anonymous said...

Third attempt at sending this so will just say happy new year. Dang, I wrote a lot too.
Cami

TOM VAUGHAN & SANDY FEUTZ said...

Cami: Good to hear from you! Sorry you had a problem posting; we belatedly caught the limitation on who could post and think we have removed all barriers. Anyone should be able to post, whether they have a Google account or not. Let us know if you have further problems related to that.

Beautiful morning in ice-struck Chandler! We've been watching birds at the feeders over breakfast; now getting set to make good smells for the family dinner this afternoon. It's been a great trip, but 'twill be nice to get home to Fifi and Sophi and the mountains! TV