Saturday, December 27, 2008

Santa Fe 1





The worst weather we encountered yesterday was in the Mancos Valley. After that, driving conditions (road surfaces, mainly) got a little better and we had bare pavement from Ghost Ranch into Santa Fe. 

BUT, Chama had 23 inches of snow yesterday, so the weather was snowy most of the day. The critters with the old buildings are near Chimney Rock, on the way to Pagosa Springs. The folks at one of the galleries in Chama were keeping the walk to their door open, but it was like a canyon! A colorful doorway in Los Ojos caught my eye, as did the little building beside the road below Abiquiu Dam ... it's domed, with a carved door and a cross outside. ?

We looked around Abiquiu briefly ... it was starting to get dark and we wanted to get on into Santa Fe. The triple arch caught my eye; maybe someone will tell me what it's the remains of.

Canyon Road was all alit, aglow, atwinkle, etc., but not many shops were open. Those that were open, I kept my hands in my pockets or behind my back ... I feel like a bull in a china shop around art objects priced at $20,000 - $44,000!

El Farol, the oldest restaurant in Santa Fe (started in 1835) was as quaint and cozy as always, but I think this time the spices got me! Hopefully today and tonight will be better than last night. 

After breakfast with old friends, we off to Museum Hill. Later! tv

No comments: