Saturday, December 6, 2008

Mancos Olde Fashioned Christmas





Is there anything better than a small town Christmas celebration??  I think not!   The Christmas elves were plentiful and real cheerleaders for the event.   There were children of all sizes (and ages) just gathering around the bonfire and enjoying the company of family,friends and neighbors.  A big "Atta Boy",  or I think that in this instance "Atta Girl" is more appropriate, to the committee that has put the Mancos celebration together.  And last night was just the kick-off for a full week of events.  What fun!  Santa's arrival was the big happening for the children.  He was "mobbed" by the little ones, but with the help of Mrs. Santa(and the VFW,I understand) managed to hand out bags of candy,fruit and toys to all.   It was good to hear that those tending the shop at the Artisans also had a good evening visiting with shoppers and  those who just stopped in to enjoy the cider and cookies and chat for a while.  Happy holidays to all.  It's coming fast!  Enjoy! :)sf
P.S. Some of my  warmest memories of Newberry, Michigan were  of our Christmas "Night on the Town", very similar to the Mancos event.  Except it was freezing(the bone chilling kind), frequently snowing, Santa might possibly arrive on a dog sled and the first time we tried luminaries, the bags all burned! But wonderful memories ,though, of good friends laughing our way through it, snowsuit bundled frosty little people, the beautiful antique tunnel of lights that the residents proudly hung each year and took my breath away the first time I saw them, and most of all another very special small town that opened it's heart to all each holiday season.sf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SANDY!!! I can't believe I have stubmled across you!!! You will know who I am when I sign this post. I get Google alerts for Newberry and Newberry Tourism and YOUR BLOG showed up!! I do one called Yooper Yarns! Kathy K and I talked about you after she had recently seen you...said you were into photography now and looked wonderful! In case ya don't know how this is,

Cathy Clementz, Northcountry Campground and Cabins, Newberry, Mi.