Saturday, December 6, 2008

In my 69th year ...




Well, I survived turning 68, though I wondered on Thursday whether I had suddenly passed my "do not use after" date! My memory for names is going faster than I'd like. Anyway, well-wishes from friends and relatives and neighbors have been gratefully received. I just renewed my driver's license for another five years and I have every intention of renewing it again!

Yesterday was the first of several busy days in the holiday season. On the down side, my physical therapist suggests my lower back pain is a degenerative process ... I like "arthritis" better; it doesn't sound so much like going to heck in a handbasket! I've got an appointment to get a more thorough evaluation. Meantime, exercises and a heating pad and keep on keeping on.

In the afternoon we went to an opening reception in Cortez for Mancos sculptors Veryl Goodnight and Patsy Davis and Mancos photographer Steve Sykes. We're really developing a community of artists in the Mancos Valley! 

Then we went around the corner to the reception for the Merry Miniatures show at the Cortez Cultural Center, where we have several small, framed photos entered, as well as some holiday cards. 

Back to Mancos in time to catch the start of the Rudolph Run ... the eager urchins hurtling into the darkness in the bottom picture. This is an annual evening event at the start of the Olde Fashioned Christmas celebration, followed by lighting the town Christmas tree and the arrival of Santa Claus on a fire truck. The VFW provides goodies for Santa to give the kids. At the north end of Pioneer Plaza, the little town park (and parking lot) where the town tree is located (next to the opera house) is the old jail, moved from its earlier location in Boyle Park. There was a group of high school students playing Christmas music on the porch ... Sandy says they look like a Norman Rockwell painting - real people, each doing something different. tv

No comments: