Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ok Tom. . Me and the Big C


Actually it was(is) not that big a spot of "C" and most of it is gone as of my second biopsy last Tuesday. First of all my apologies to those of you who are good friends that I have not told personally. I thought that I am tough and I can just quietly get through this without sharing the burden with others. Of course, Tom was going through the last month of tests and waiting, and more tests and more waiting so he was having to share the bad days as I waited for diagnosis with me. And then I talked to my sister Vel about it because she is a kind heart and I knew that she would make me laugh. She did. And my brother Leslie who has spent his life in cancer research and I knew he could give me good answers to my questions. He did. And then I woke up one morning and realized I wanted to continue doing some of the things I am truly enjoying with some of the people that I like being with and that they needed to know. And that by sharing my diagnosis with those in my life, there may be those who are reminded to have that neglected screening a little earlier and catch their own problem earlier instead of later. Lemonade from lemons? Yes, cancer is a bitter lemon and I know the next few months will be tough. But the good news is, hopefully to be confirmed by Mayo Clinic at my coming appointment, is that it is curable with additional surgery, chemo,and radiation. So I have invasive ductal carcinoma (breast cancer). I am not the first to fight this battle and, unfortunately, will not be the last. I think I am beyond the shock of going from a extremely healthy 68 year old to being an extremely healthy 68 year old with the exception of my left breast. So this is my story. I had told Tom that I would share it in a blog and it wasn't as easy as I thought. I am planning on setting up a separate blog prior to going to Mayo and starting treatment just to keep family and friends posted and once I have that done I will post the link here for those of you who would like to take the journey with me. This isn't my favorite blog post but I will share some beautiful flowers that came yesterday from good life friends in Newberry, Mi. and they will brighten this not so bright post. Hugs, Sandy

4 comments:

TOM VAUGHAN & SANDY FEUTZ said...

This is the strong, brave woman I know and love!

Anonymous said...

Sandy, you know you will be in the thoughts and prayers of those who know you. I, for one, hope you will keep us all informed and I know those of us that know you would not think it was anykind of a pity party for you to do so. Whatever you are comfortable writing and sharing, you should do.

sfeutz said...

Thanks for the kind words Cathy. It has been only the last week that I have told my close family and I was finding it was difficult to respond to all of the up date requests and I was forgetting what I had told who! So, I think that mainly the blog will be therapeutic for me and give me a comfort level that I am keeping those who want to know updated,particularly during early days of the Mayo Clinic whirlwind and finding the right treatment path. And I already know of one person that has been jolted into making her mammogram appointment because of my diagnosis. For that purpose I may do a facebook post once I have the new blog set up.I have some longtime facebook friends that I haven't told yet and don't read this blog. So haven't decided about that yet. The success stories that I am hearing from others is really helping my confidence level and the big group hug filled with lots of good women power that I got from my book club was so great! And pity and sympathy isn't what I am seeking, but I am trying to build strength to do what I have to do. Tom calls me strong and brave and I have been that through other times of hardship and crisis in my life but right now I am feeling rather wimpy. I guess that is what I get for having been so darn healthy for so many years! Take care and safe journeys back to the UP. I have enjoyed your winter adventures and beautiful photos! Hugs, Sandy

Anonymous said...

I much prefer blogging over the FB thing! But I can see it is easier to keep up with everyone via FB. Wherever you share your info, I will keep up with ya.